It’s always nice to wake up to good news, this time was a post saying I had received the Liebster Award.
What is this you might ask?
It’s basically an award given from one blogger to another with the goal to recognise and discover new blogs. Thank you Steph for nominating me, especially at such an early stage in my blogging career. She has a great blog called #Stephontour. Check it out to see how she quit her job and started living her travel dreams – currently in New Zealand!
Here are my 11 questions from Steph so you get the jist of my blog.
- Where is one place you must go back to?Lisbon. I went last year, only for 3 days but it was one of the best places I’ve visited. It’s laid-back culture, the friendliness of the locals and one of the best street art scenes I’ve come across. I also happened to be staying during the Festival of Santo Antonio where the streets of Lisbon were alive at night with all-night festivals. Locals party till the early hours, celebrating with great food and music.
- Name one thing that is an essential on your packing list.
I guess what most people would say, which is my phone. It doubles up as my camera which is how I document everything that’s pleasing to the eye. Also the magic of 4G/Wifi – it’s given me the use of maps, food reviews and much more – all of which has helps when discovering a new place.
- What is top of your bucket list?I have an ever-growling bucket list here. If I had to pick one as the ‘top’ it would be to travel South America. I so want it happen this year but with no plans with me to quit my job just yet – it’ll have to wait until I can afford a ‘career break’.
- If you could live anywhere, where would it be?At this moment in time, I’d like to go live in Copenhagen. Somewhere completely new, but that’s always been in the back of my mind to visit in the future. I’ve had friends go there and say great things. I’ve also read up on some amazing content. The buildings and landscapes look visually pleasing (Nyhavn, Alternative Christiana). Still being in Europe would mean I’ve got close links to shoot off to other European counties at the drop of a hat (unless it’s cold, then it would stay firmly on my head).
- What are you travel plans for 2016?2016 is shaping up nicely with the latter of the two trips (Paris and Croatia) only being booked last month. If I can squeeze in a couple more this year, I’d like them to be more spur of the moment trips.
- Why did you start a travel blog, and where do you write?I love to travel, as do most. And as much as travelling, I like to read other blogs from people of all backgrounds to see how travelling can vary for them. Each experience is so different and that’s the beauty of it. As for writing, most of this is done from the comfort of my own home, or various coffee shops darted around Manchester. Whatever works best as my muse at the time.
- What is the best thing you’ve eaten whilst travelling?
A combination of some of the tastiest tapas and great decor. It was at the Quina Creu restaurant in Palma, Mallorca. We probably shared 7/8 small plates between us; the monkfish with salsa verde, paprika smoked veg and the seafood curry with black rice were my stand-outs!
- Travel brings new experiences, what has been your best experience?Making my first solo trip. Everything that has happened in my life prior seemed very little in comparison to what I was hoping to embark on. I didn’t give up, even whilst in full-time employment, I knew I had to go now or I never really would. The result, almost a month travelling America. With what started out as strangers, meeting some amazing people. It’s definitely set the tone for future travel.
- What is your biggest travel regret?
Not pushing myself to see more of the world sooner.
- Name your best souvenir.Whilst travelling in America, we visited Monument Valley and learnt all about the Navajo Nation. It was fascinating to learn the history and culture of the Natives. I fell in love with their art (tribal, western and geometric designs). So just before leaving, I picked up a few ceramic tiles in different designs to remind me of time here (two live with me, and the others two in my mothers kitchen!).
- Are you a planner, or a spontaneous traveller?
A few years ago I’d say planner but as I’ve got older and with all the tech advances, i.e. AirBnb and Skyscanner it’s given me so more flexibility to book trips on a whim. Some of those have the most fun, unplanned and unlocking new experiences each day! See my trip to Dublin which didn’t have any planned elements!
My nominee & 11 questions to be answered.
Snowtoseas – Great photography, and has some of the places I’m heading to this year.
Hikesnobs – Only recently discovered, but a visually stimulating blog and of course give all the low-downs on all the best hikes!
- What was your first travel memory?
- What is your favourite souvenir? (given/received)
- If you could be in any country right now where would it be?
- Do you have any advice for a newbie traveller?
- Which country would you want to visit again?
- Who or what has inspired you to travel?
- Tastiest food you’ve experienced whilst travelling?
- If you could only take 5 things on your next trip, what would they be?
- What are your travel plans for 2016?
- Have you ever travelled solo? yes / if no – why not.
- Of all your trips, is there anything you would have done differently?
1. Write a blogpost about your nomination.
2. Thank the person who nominated you and include a link to their blog.
3. Answer the 11 questions the person who nominated you asked you in his/her blogpost.
4. Nominate other new bloggers who you think deserve this award, and come up with questions of your own for them to answer.
5. List these rules in your blogpost.